Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sense of Wonder

While we were at the coast in May, my daughter found a toad.  She asked me to catch it for her.  I told her the toad would probably pee on her and that it would be scared and maybe we should leave it alone.  She insisted that she really wanted me to catch the toad for her.  I relented and caught the little fellow.  I put him in a little bucket and told my daughter that she could look at it.  She stared at it in the bucket and then decided she wanted to pick it up.

Here is what happend after she picked up the toad.











In retrospection, I am actually very glad that she insisted that I pick up the toad for her.  I was just mezmerized by how interested she was in that little toad.  She focused so intently on it, and I could tell that she was just fascinated by it.  I can't remember the last time I found something so interesting that it just captured all of my attention.  I honestly think that as adults we really have lost that sense of wonder.  Children just seem to naturally have it.  When was the last time you experienced a sense of wonder regarding something as simple as your garden variety toad?

No comments:

Post a Comment