Thursday, June 2, 2011

Indonesian Satay

My son asked to have satay for dinner tonight.  He helped me make both chicken and beef satay.  We used the same marinade for both.  I got the recipe from a site called http://rasamalaysia.com/.  They have really great Asian recipes...Taiwanese, Indonesian, Malaysian, etc. I am going to try more of their recipes in the future.

Marinade for the satay:

good sprinkle of garlic salt (I used quite a bit)
some ground paprika
some white pepper
2 tsp. coriander powder
2 tsp. nutmeg powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. olive oil
2 cloves shallots thinly sliced
dash of soy sauce
lots of kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)

I did not make the peanut sauce that is normally served with satay.  Neither my son nor my husband are big fans of peanut sauce.  If you want to make the peanut sauce, the recipe is included at the Rasa Malaysia website.

I used chicken breast and flank steak for my cuts of meat.  I sliced the meat lengthwise in fairly thin strips.  The meat sat in the marinade for about an hour.  I put them on wooden skewers (skewers must first be soaked in water so that they do not burn on the grill) and my husband grilled them on our small grill.

The satay is generally served with rice.  Everyone really liked how the beef satay turned out.  Even though it was the same marinade, the beef satay was just delicious!  The chicken satay was good too...we just liked the beef better.



No comments:

Post a Comment