Friday, June 3, 2011

Basic White Bread

I have never been able to successfully make bread using a machine or otherwise.  Then I came across this recipe, and the bread turns out really well every single time.  I don't own a bread machine or a kitchen aid mixer.  The recipe can certainly be made using those kitchen accessories, but they are not a requirement.  I got this recipe from the simple dollar website.  He has pictures and step by step instructions on how to bake bread. 

Here is the recipe:

1/4 cup milk
5 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
5 tsp. butter
1 pkg. active dry yeast
2.5 to 2.5 cups all purpose flour


Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water.  Add milk, sugar, salt, and melted butter. Mix in 2 cups flour.  Add flour 1/4 cup at a time until soft dough forms.  Knead for 10 minutes.  Cover and let rise 1 hr.  Punch down.  Roll out into rectangle the width of the pan. Roll up and tuck ends under.  Place in greased bread pan. Cover and let rise another hour.  Bake at 400F for 30 minutes. Makes 1 loaf.  I've heard that it does not work to double the recipe for bread if you want to make 2 loaves so I just made two separate batches.  The final product has a slightly crunchy crust and a really nice, soft, moist middle.  I always have to make 2 loaves because 1 usually gets consumed right away :)

No comments:

Post a Comment