Friday, June 3, 2011

Roasted Chicken with brown rice stuffing




My friend has a neat food blog at http://whydiscovertheworld.blogspot.com/. She posts different recipes from different parts of the world. She also posts recipes that she has tried that are just good. Today for lunch I made the recipe she posted for the roasted chicken with brown rice stuffing (http://whydiscovertheworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/roasted-chicken-with-brown-rice.html). My 3 kids ages, 2, 4, and 6 liked the dish as well as my husband.


Ingredients:
whole chicken
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 clove garlic diced
3 green onions (chopped)
2 tbs butter
fresh basil, parsley, rosemary (I used dried and still turned out well)
salt/pepper

Mix all the ingredients together with the rice. Stuff inside the chicken.  Season the chicken with oil, salt, and thyme. Bake in the oven at 350F for 1.5 hours.  Basting the chicken every so often is a good idea so that it doesn't dry out.

I made a few other changes to the recipe. I omitted the chopped celery since my kids are not big on celery. I stuffed the chicken with 1 cup of brown rice, but I made extra rice stuffing and placed the chicken on top of the rice. Then, every half hour, I basted the chicken with some chicken broth since the rice in the bottom of the dish would absorb any juices from the chicken. I probably should have stirred the rice because it got a little crunchy but just on the edges. It took about 1.5 hours to roast the chicken. The rice had great flavor as did the chicken. I rubbed the chicken with some oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme.

We will definitely be making this dish again.

No comments:

Post a Comment