Monday, August 29, 2011

General Tso’s Chicken

One of DH’s favorite dishes is General Tso’s chicken.  I found a recipe online awhile ago that we really like.  I have modified the recipe a little since I am trying to get away from using corn starch.  Corn starch is used a lot in Asian cooking to thicken sauces and to make fried foods like sweet and sour chicken or pork.  The recipe as written makes a really good General Tso’s chicken dish.  We thought it still tasted great using flour instead of corn starch. I have made it both ways.  Serve the dish with plain rice.  This dish is definitely one of our family favorites…enjoy!
Here is the original recipe:
Sauce:
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1+1/2 tsp minced garlic
1+1/2 tsp minced ginger root
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup cooking wine ( I did not use cooking wine)
1+1/2 cup hot chicken broth
1 tsp monosodium glutamate (I never use msg)

Meat:
3 lbs deboned dark chicken meat, cut into large chunks
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp white pepper
1 egg
1 cup cornstarch
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
2 cups sliced green onions
16 small dried hot peppers


1) Mix 1/2 cup cornstarch with water.  Add garlic, ginger, sugar, 1/2 cup soy
sauce, vinegar, wine, chicken broth and MSG (if desired).  Stir until sugar
dissolves.  Refrigerate until needed.

2) In separate bowl, mix chicken, 1/4 cup soy sauce and white pepper.  Stir in
egg.  Add 1 cup cornstarch and mix until chicken pieces are coated evenly. 
Add cup of vegetable oil to help separate chicken pieces.  Divide chicken into
small quantities and deep-fry at 350 degrees until crispy.  Drain on paper
towels.

3) Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is hot.  Add onions
and peppers and stir-fry briefly.  Stir sauce and add to wok.  Place chicken in
sauce and cook until sauce thickens.

The changes I made were:

For the sauce, I omitted the corn starch. Then after stir-frying the onions and peppers, I added 6 Tbs. all-purpose flour and stir-fried briefly.  Then I added the sauce and the fried chicken pieces and cooked the sauce for 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickened.

For the meat:  I added all the ingredients except for the cornstarch and the oil.  There is no need to add the oil since the pieces were not being coated in cornstarch. I mixed the chicken pieces until they were thoroughly coated.  Then I coated each chicken piece with all-purpose flour.  I deep-fried the chicken pieces until they were crispy.  Then I added the chicken to the sauce.

P1100463

No comments:

Post a Comment