Monday, April 6, 2009

Veggie Tales Lesson

I watched the Veggie Tale video Madame Blueberry with my kids tonight. The theme was about being thankful. I love the part at the beginning where Larry the Cucumber says he needs the Suzy Action Camper, jet skis, and other accessories to go with this Suzy Action Jeep and then he would be happy. Bob the Tomato basically asks him how much stuff he needs to be happy and Larry says, "I don't know. How much stuff is there?" The answer was humorus yet on some level disturbing since it is human nature to want the things that we don't have. We think if I had this or if this happened, then I would be happy. The video told the story of Madame Blueberry who already had alot of things, but was still "blue." In the end, she realizes that material things do not bring happiness. The take home message is that "a thankful heart is a happy heart."

If you haven't ever seen the Veggie Tale videos, they are a lot of fun and teach kids great principles. I enjoy watching them with my kids. Tonight I was reminded about how rich I am in blessings. I had already been thinking lately, especially given the current economy, how blessed I am that my husband has a good job, that we have a roof over our heads, food to eat, and that my kids are generally healthy and happy. I also have a wonderful extended family and the best friends anyone could ever ask for. I want to reach the point where I can be content and happy regardless of my external circumstances. At this point, I must still constantly remind myself that I should be thankful and happy with the things that I have and where I am in life. Less really can be more. I want to teach my kids that quality of life is not equated with the number of material possessions that we own. Happiness and contentment come from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment