Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Green Easter

Here are some things we try and do to have a greener Easter.

  1. Re-use the same container each year.  I stopped buying those cheap Easter baskets that you find at the dollar store or Walmart.  Instead, I opted for plastic buckets that are sturdy and can be used year after year.  My son will be turning 4 this year, and this will be the 3rd time he is using the same bucket.  My daughter also has her same bucket from last year.  Next Easter, for my youngest daughter, I may try making a bag or maybe even making my own basket .  She’s too young to participate in any Easter egg hunts this year.
  2. Keep the plastic eggs and re-use them each year or hide real eggs.  Keep count of how many boiled eggs you’ve hidden or you will be sorry.
  3. Skip the plastic Easter grass (what we do) or if you must have it, try using shredded paper which can then be recycled.
  4. Use natural Easter egg dyes or use food coloring and vinegar to color your eggs instead of buying those wasteful dye kits. 
  5. We teach our kids that Easter is not about new clothes, flowers, Easter bunnies, fluffy chicks, candy, Easter eggs or Easter egg hunts, but that it is about remembering the Atonement and Resurrection of Jesus Christ (which is something we should always keep in remembrance).  

No comments:

Post a Comment