Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Contact Paper Wall Art

Since we are living in a rental place, I didn’t want to do anything permanent to the walls.  So, I designed some wall lettering for the living room and art for the nursery and painted the designs onto clear contact paper. Then I cut out the pictures and phrases and pasted them to the wall.  Contact paper isn’t very sticky and easily peels off walls without taking off the paint.  An entire roll of contact paper costs around $5.00-$6.00 for the larger size so you can do quite a bit of decorating.  I did all the pictures in the nursery and the letters for the front room and still had left over material.
stuff 019
This is the phrase in the living room.  I used my inkjet printer to print the letters in the size (3” tall) and font that I wanted.  Then I placed the contact paper over the letters and traced the outline of the letters using a black marker.   I painted in the lines using charcoal-colored craft paint and then cut out ‘A Happy Family’ and ‘is Heaven on Earth’ as two separate pieces.  Make sure your wall is clean and dry and then stick the contact paper to the wall. 
The design is reusable.  I actually made this phrase and used it in our last house.  I pulled the words off the wall at our previous house and put them on wax paper, rolled it up, and then peeled it off the wax paper and put it on the new wall.  It doesn’t hurt the wax paper either so that can be re-used.
Unless you cut out each letter, you can sometimes see the clear contact paper on the wall.  I haven’t had anyone say that they thought it looked awful.  On the contrary, most people that have been to my home want to know how I made the letters and the pictures.  They’ll think you’re creative and you definitely can be.  The sky’s the limit when it comes to what you can design.
So besides the fact that it’s very inexpensive and not really all that time-consuming to make your own wall letters and art, I also like the fact that you can customize it with multiple colors or however you want. It’s hard to see, but in the phrase ‘It’s a Jungle Out There’ the words are outlined in a deep green and then painted in with a mint green.
stuff 022
I free-handed the animals using the bedding and some nursery toys as my inspiration.  You can make some pretty large designs.  You can buy contact paper that is 18” wide so that would be the width limit, but the length is whatever you would like.  The giraffe is probably a foot or so tall.  I also put colored spots all over the walls.  I used different sized cups and bowls and traced circles which I then painted different colors. 
stuff 021
Picture 008
My sister-in-law calls me the queen of contact paper..lol!  Have fun decorating with contact paper…I sure do!

No comments:

Post a Comment