Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffin

I was at the store the other day and saw that they had Libby brand canned pumpkin.  I had been thinking about baking something like banana bread for the kids to take to school as a snack.  When I saw the canned pumpkin, I thought that muffins sounded good. 

After I got home, I noticed that I had 2 Granny Smith apples that had been sitting in the fruit bowl for over a week with no takers.  Poor little apples were starting to look a little sad so I thought maybe I could make some kind of muffin with pumpkin and apples.  I found a recipe at one of my favorite recipes sites: www.allrecipes.com. The recipe was for a pumpkin apple streusel muffin...perfect!

I did make a few changes since 1) I didn't have pumpkin pie spice and 2) along with the Libby brand canned pumpkin, I also found gold medal wheat flour.  Now that may not seem very exciting to you, but those things can be hard to come by here in Jakarta.  I've learned from experience now that if I see something that I want that is not readily available, I need to buy it right away.  The last time I thought I would go home and think about whether or not I wanted to pay US $7 for a bag of wheat flour, they were sold out by the next day.

Ok..now for the slightly modified recipe.  If you want the original recipe, you can find it here.

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffin

Makes 18 muffins

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour ( this way i can convince myself the muffins are healthy...ha ha)
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp nutment
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apple
Streusel                    
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 teaspoons butter

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 18 muffin cups or use paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, sift together white and wheat flour, sugars, spices, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, pumpkin and oil. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stirring just to moisten. Fold in apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffin batter.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.               

The muffins were very moist and DH and I thought they were delicious!  Unfortunately, my kids didn't like the muffins as much as we did.  Still, I thought the recipe was worth keeping.  One of these days, I should probably just make a recipe as written and try it first before tweaking it.  As usual, I generally end up making changes because I don't have all the ingredients on hand.  I guess I could learn to plan to make something in advance and then go grocery shopping.  But...that would require too much planning and forethought...lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment