Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Homemade Halloween Costumes

I didn't bring a sewing machine with me to Jakarta so this year we will scrounge around to see what we can come up with for Halloween costumes.  I usually like to come up with home-made costumes.  Store-bought costumes are expensive, especially if they are only worn once or twice.

One year I made a peppermint candy costume for my youngest.  It was relatively simple.  She wore a white onesie and white tights. I made a tutu and wrapped a white knit hat in tulle.  The peppermint was made from white and red felt stitched together.  I attached velcro to the front and back of her onesie and then attached the peppermints. 


After halloween, I just took the velcro off of her onesie and the tulle off of her hat. The tutu was good for dress-up play.  Everything was re-usable.  I used the peppermints for Christmas decorations.  The kids also liked playing with the stuffed peppermints.

For my other daughter, I took an old prom dress and whittled it down to size so that it would fit her.  I just took in all the seams and adjusted the length.  It didn't take that long and she loved the outfit.  We added a crown and a scepter and she was a princess. 

My son wanted to be a jedi.  His outfit was made from an old shirt, a bedsheet, and scrap felt I got on clearance.  We already had the lightsaber so he was all set.  I think all 3 costumes cost less than $5.00 in materials since I used what I had on hand.  I really enjoyed making the costumes and the kids were happy with the end result.

We love Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment