Monday, March 2, 2009

Reuse Groups

In keeping with my motto of trying to reduce, reuse, and recycle, I am a member of a reuse group. There are various resuse groups which allow members to offer usable items to interested parties. This way, items that are still functional do not end up in landfills.
Reuse groups such as the Freecycle Network, FreeSharing.org, and the ReUseIt Network are some groups that utilize email to offer items and to arrange for pickup. Many of these Networks have local groups that are moderated by volunteers. I am a member of a local Freecycle group. Their motto is "changing the world one gift at a time."
I have given away items that are still in good condition, but that I no longer need or that do not meet my needs. For example, I had a small crockpot that I used in college to cook for just one person-me. Since I have a larger family now, we have a larger crockpot and I offered the smaller one to someone who could use it.
In turn, I have also received items that my kids have been able to use. I was able to get a functional bicycle for my son and another ride on toy. I also gave away kids videos that my children were no longer interested in and received other videos that they enjoy.
I think the world is a better place when people are willing to give of themselves and also to receive with gratitude. I hate the idea of usable items being thrown away which is one of the many reasons why I choose to recycle.
Freecycle also allows want posts for members to ask for items for which they have need. I myself have never posted a want listing, but I think it is a good thing for people to be able to seek for things which they need. Of course there are always some who try and abuse the system, but I believe that most people that are part of these reuse groups have a genuine interest in reducing waste and having a more positive impact on the environment.
So, find a reuse group near you and recycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment